R&S - Lyons Bridge
The former Rochester, Syracuse & Eastern Bridge carried the Rochester, Syracuse & Eastern Rapid interurban (RS&E) over the Erie Canal in Lyons, New York.
Financial issues forced the RS&E to merge with the Auburn & Northern Electric Railroad and the Syracuse, Lake Shore & Northern Railroad, forming Empire United Railways. The new company failed in 1915 and was dissolved into individual interurbans a year later.
The RS&E reorganized as the Rochester & Syracuse Railroad in 1917. It remained in operation until June 27, 1931 when it was abandoned. The railroad bridge superstructures were later removed.
A Warren truss bridge to carry a natural gas pipeline was constructed on some of the piers of the RS&E Bridge in 1956.
- Lost Warren through truss bridge over Erie Canal on Rochester & Syracuse Railroad
- Lyons, Wayne County, New York
- Removed but not replaced
- - Owego Bridge Co. of Owego, New York
- - Interurban
- Rochester & Syracuse Railroad (R&S)
- Rochester, Syracuse & Eastern Rapid Railroad (RS&E)
- Warren through truss
Total length: 992.0 ft.
- Also called
- RS Bridge #4
RS&E Bridge #4
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.06258, -76.99715 (decimal degrees)
43°03'45" N, 76°59'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/337379/4769699 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 73450 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 21, 2017: Updated by Luke: County change
- April 20, 2017: Updated by Sherman Cahal: History
- September 1, 2016: New Street View added by Luke