MNCW - Otisville Tunnel
The tunnel was built in 1908 by the Erie Railroad at the highest point of the Graham Line. The original Erie main line went over the hill and connected at both ends with the tunnel. Later the "over the hill" tracks were abandoned and all trains ran through the tunnel.
It later operated under the auspices of the merged Erie Lackawanna Railway from 1960 to 1976, and then Conrail from 1976 until it was acquired by Norfolk Southern as part of the breakup of Conrail.
Metro-North took over passenger service in 1983. [Wikipedia]
- October 7, 2014: Updated by Luke: Added categories "Erie Railroad", "Erie Lackawanna Railroad", "Conrail", "Metro-North Commuter Railroad", "Norfolk Southern Railway"
- October 7, 2014: Added by Dave King