"Cooper's Tubular Arch Bridge was built in 1886 for the Town of Canajoharie, New York by Melvin A. Nash, a Fort Edward, New York bridge builder. It is the only extant example of superstructure fabricated on the 1873 patent of civil engineer William B. Cooper, then employed on the New York State Canals. In 1975, the bridge was acquired by the Central New York State Park and Recreation Commission and moved to the Old Erie Canal State Park in De Witt, where it now carries pedestrians and service vehicles across a restored portion of the original canal. ... His [Cooper's] design was one of a variety of trusses of the bowstring and tied arch forms widely used for small highway and street crossings during the mid-to-late nineteenth century. The configuration of its trusses places it in a direct line of descendance from the arched trusses of New York engineer and inventor Squire Whipple, whose design was used for many years as a canal standard.."
"Cooper's Tubular Arch Bridge consists of a pair of unbraced, cast- and wrought-iron bowstring trusses seated on reinforced concrete abutments faced with coarse ashlar limestone. The bridge's superstructure is 61'-9" in overall length with a clear span of approximately 59', measured between abutment faces at the seats. The deck is approximately 16' above the water and 9-1/2' above the single towpath that parallels the canal's north bank."
-- William P. Chamberlain, historian (1994), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER No. NY-291)
Total length: 62.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+43.04398, -76.03841(decimal degrees) 43°02'38" N, 76°02'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")