Whirlpool Rapids Bridge
This bridge is the replacement for John Roebling's original Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge (not to be confused with the Niagara-Clifton Bridge which was the predecessor to the Rainbow Bridge).
The lower/automobile deck of this bridge is restricted to those with a NEXUS express border crossing pass. Non-NEXUS customers must use either the Rainbow Bridge or the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge.
- Double-decker steel arch bridge over the Niagara River at Niagara Falls, New York
- Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York
- Automobiles must have NEXUS pass to cross. Rail traffic not restricted
- Built 1897
- - Leffert L. Buck of Canton, New York (Designer)
- - Amtrak (AMTK)
- Canadian National Railway (CN)
- VIA Rail (VIA)
- Steel deck arch
Length of largest span: 549.9 ft.
Total length: 789.7 ft.
Deck width: 25.9 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 10.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.10917, -79.05778 (decimal degrees)
43°06'33" N, 79°03'28" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/658028/4774768 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Niagara Falls
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- Inventory numbers
- NY 5039547 (New York State bridge identification number)
BH 26465 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 69.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 22, 2020: New photo from Josh Schmid
- April 15, 2020: Updated by Nick Boppel: Technically this bridge is restricted/open to authorized vehicles since a NEXUS pass is required to use it
- March 3, 2020: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- October 24, 2017: New photos from Matthew
- August 9, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- August 9, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- July 31, 2016: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- May 3, 2013: New photo from Luke Harden
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Dana and Kay Klein
- Geoff Hubbs
- Nick Boppel - nickboppel01 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Josh Schmid