The "Bootleggers" or "Smugglers" Bridge was a prohibition created phenomena. An open secret on the Niagara frontier it was extant from 1920 to 1933. Photographs are very rare due to the nature of business conducted. Oral histories gathered in Pine Street Taverns Niagara Falls circa 1980 indicate it was thus: Two ships One a Canadian passenger liner the other a US Fire boat tug Ice breaker circled each other at the international border. One had a Sherzer Rolling Lift deck mounted the other A Strass heel trunion bascule deck mounted. Boats skiffs rafts etc came and went day and night moving Brador and Labatts and Canadian Club. Hundreds of people lived here full time . If the revenuers from one country or the other arrived bridges would be lowered and the illicit cargo would be quickly transferred to the other ship which would high tail it to port. In winter the ice breaker had to circle continuously in order to keep commerce going. In summer it was a floating resort with flappers and swells visiting for long periods. It is rumored that even after prohibition many locals continued to patronize out of habit and to walk the bridges ship to ship. Not verified but may have been extant into the 80's. A lone Kansas Bridge hunter is rumored to have made the trek but took off before he could be interviewed. The only verification of this is a quick camera shot of his fast moving vehicle. A maritime legacy is the Lake Erie Greeting among boaters of "Wheres the Bridge?" The reply being, " Right Here!" and an exchange of libations is performed.