Hitchen's Bridge Lockport New York
Photo taken by Mike Niethe
BH Photo #352594
The views I attached are from a postcard that is postmarked 1907.
This is a common postcard.
This bridge spanned the Erie Canal west of the lift locks at Lockport.
I was told that this bridge was later replaced by the "Summit Street" bridge.
I remember the Summit Street bridge. It was demolished a few years ago and was replaced by the present Route 93 (Lockport Bypass) bridge
although the present bridge is a couple hundred yards west of the old Summit Street bridge.
- Lost Bridge over Erie Canal
- Lockport, Niagara County, New York
- - Squire Whipple of Albany, New York
- Bowstring pony truss
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.15543, -78.70999 (decimal degrees)
43°09'20" N, 78°42'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/686186/4780621 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 72007 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 10, 2018: Updated by Dana and Kay Klein: Moved pin to base of summit, still a pipeline Crossing
- February 10, 2018: Updated by Art Suckewer: Added by Art S - photo and bridge type/probable builder
- April 27, 2016: Added by Michael Niethe