Washington Street Bridge
Photo taken August 2007
BH Photo #188708
The Washington Street Lift Bridge (also known as the Adams Basin Lift Bridge) was rehabilitated during 2006-2007. It had to be parked and shored in the up position during its time of inoperability and renovation so as not to impede boat traffic on the Erie Canal. It was finally able to be lowered and reopened to vehicular traffic in December 2006, and cosmetic work continued into the summer of 2007. The bridge is not manned full time, and is not presently capable of remote operation. Boat traffic needing it to lift must call the nearby Union Street Lift Bridge operator in Spencerport via marine VHF or cellular phone, and they then drive to this bridge to open it.
Reopening reported by NY Stat DOT here:
- Vertical lift bridge over Erie Canal on Washington Street
- Monroe County, New York
- Open to traffic
- Built 1912; rehabilitated 2006-07
- Warren pony truss vertical lift
Length of largest span: 118.8 ft.
Total length: 144.7 ft.
Deck width: 18.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 8.0 ft.
- Also called
- Adams Basin Lift Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.19556, -77.85389 (decimal degrees)
43°11'44" N, 77°51'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/268117/4786485 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- NY 4443590 (New York State bridge identification number)
BH 26294 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2017)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Excellent (9 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 74.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 16, 2016: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- December 10, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- January 8, 2015: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- August 28, 2013: New photo from Douglas Butler
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Douglas Butler
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net