Five Arch Bridge
Five Arch Bridge from downstream
Photo taken by Patrick J. McCormick
Built in 1856-57 by the Genesee Valley Railroad to span the Conesus Lake Outlet on the Rochester-Avon-Geneseo-Mount Morris line. This bridge is 200 feet long, 12 feet wide and constructed of limestone mined from a local quarry. The line was electrified in 1907 by the Erie Railroad, with three interurban trolley runs daily between the City of Rochester and the Village of Mount Morris. In 1941 the Avon to Mount Morris branchline was abandoned and the rails over the bridge were removed.
- Stone arch bridge over Conesus Lake Outlet
- Avon, Livingston County, New York
- Closed to all traffic
- Future prospects
- Bridge has become center piece of small town park and preservation is on-going.
- Built in 1857 by Genesee Valley R.R. (Erie / Erie-Lackawanna R.R.) over the Conesus Lake Outlet.
- - Erie Railroad (ERIE)
- Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad (R&GV)
- Stone arch
Span length: 200.0 ft.
Total length: 200.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 2012
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.89873, -77.76413 (decimal degrees)
42°53'55" N, 77°45'51" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/274323/4753276 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 11001001 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 48442 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 8, 2015: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- August 6, 2014: New Street View added by Luke
- March 20, 2011: New photos from Patrick J. McCormick
- March 18, 2011: Added by Patrick J. McCormick
- Patrick J. McCormick - pbem [at] rochester [dot] rr [dot] com
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net