Erie-Attica Trail - Genesee River Bridge
The River is running very high with the western abutment half under water.
Photo taken by Patrick J. McCormick in March 2011
BH Photo #195513
Constructed over the Genesee River on the Erie R.R. (later Erie-Lackawanna R.R. and ConRail) Avon to Attica Branchline. Even though this branchline had been freshly ballasted along with major tie replacement by the E-L Railroad in 1975, it was promptly abandoned after the ConRail takeover in 1976. NOTE: As I recall, the rumor at the time had the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville Railroad strongly interested in purchasing this branchline from ConRail in 1976, but ConRail chose to scrap the line rather than give the LA&L an additional connection with competitor Chessie System.
- Through truss bridge over Genesee River
- Caledonia, Livingston County, New York
- Open to pedestrians only
- Future prospects
- Construction on newest branch of the Genesee Valley The Genesee Valley Greenway Trail from the main trail in the Town of Caledonia eastward into the Village of Avon has been completed and available to the public. This trestle now has an eleven foot wide deck of pressure treated lumber and is open for trail use.
- Used on the Erie R.R. (later Erie-Lackawanna R.R.) Avon to Attica Branchline.
- - Conrail (CR)
- Erie Lackawanna Railroad (EL)
- Erie Railroad (ERIE)
- Pratt through truss
Deck width: 11.0 ft.
- Also called
- Erie - Genesee River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.92267, -77.75725 (decimal degrees)
42°55'22" N, 77°45'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/274972/4755916 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 48444 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 14, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Rail-to-trail"
- December 14, 2013: New photo from Patrick J. McCormick
- November 22, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: GPS fix
- November 22, 2013: Updated by Patrick J. McCormick: This trestle now has a new eleven foot wide wooden deck and is open to the public for trail use.
- September 3, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Railroad", "Erie Railroad"
- March 20, 2011: New photos from Patrick J. McCormick
- March 19, 2011: Added by Patrick J. McCormick
- Patrick J. McCormick - pbem [at] rochester [dot] rr [dot] com