Erie Canal Lift Bridge
Erie Canal Bridge
Photo taken by Douglas Butler in April 2013
License: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY)
BH Photo #292705
Bridge crossed the Erie Canal near the southern end of what is now Central Avenue at a location known as "Bridge Square." The canal was filled in at the completion of the NYS Barge Canal.
- Lost pony truss lift bridge over Erie Canal on Railroad Street in Ilion.
- Ilion, Herkimer County, New York
- No longer exists
- Built in 1897 replacing an iron bowstring; removed when canal was filled in.
- Pony truss vertical lift
- Also called
- Bridge Square Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.01536, -75.03594 (decimal degrees)
43°00'55" N, 75°02'09" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/497071/4762520 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 62763 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 27, 2021: Updated by Chester Gehman: Added build date and description, fixed location.
- November 8, 2020: New photos from Geoff Hubbs
- October 20, 2015: Updated by Douglas Butler: Updated info
- September 1, 2014: Added by Douglas Butler