No votes cast

Leeds Bridge


Photo taken by Doug Kerr in November 2005


BH Photo #173954


Street View 


Concrete arch bridge over Catskill Creek on CR 23B in Leeds
Greene County, New York
Open to traffic
Built 1825; rehabilitated 1937
Length of largest span: 55.8 ft.
Total length: 238.9 ft.
Deck width: 30.2 ft.
Also called
Catskill Creek Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+42.25583, -73.90417   (decimal degrees)
42°15'21" N, 73°54'15" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/590390/4678763 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
Inventory numbers
NY 3363560 (New York State bridge identification number)
BH 26112 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of August 2015)
Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 43.3 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com


19th Century (6,323)
Arch (11,324)
Built 1825 (10)
Built during 1820s (79)
Deck arch (10,556)
Greene County, New York (43)
Have street view (23,171)
New York (3,320)
Open (37,287)
Owned by county (19,071)
Span length 50-75 feet (9,086)
Total length 175-250 feet (3,845)

Update Log 

  • October 12, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
  • February 28, 2015: Photo imported by Dave King
  • August 24, 2010: New photo from Doug Kerr



Catskill Creek Bridge
Posted January 29, 2014, by Bob Litchko (phatboyz91 [at] yahoo [dot] com)

The Catskill Packet of August 6, 1792 notes: "on Thursday the 26th July. was completed the erecting of a bridge over Catskill Creek about five miles from this landing, on the great road to the back settlements. This bridge for magnitude and elegance of structure is inferior to none in the state."

The four arches of the Leeds Bridge are exceptionally graceful and well proportioned.

Just below the bridge was the fording place used by both the Indians and whites.

During the widening of the State Highway in the early 1930s, three feet were added to the width of the bridge. Examination of the architectural features of the bridge shows that this was accomplished by cutting down the width of the parapet walls on either side, at which time the stones above the level of the roadway were re-laid. At this same time, parts of the abutments were strengthened by the addition of concrete at their bases.