Bridge Street Bridge
Photo taken by Chris P
BH Photo #394340
This structure is a single-span, Whipple-type truss built by the New York Bridge Company in 1879. It
connects the south end of the Groveville Carpet Mill (Survey Nos. 59, 60) with a historic residential
neighborhood on the south side of the creek. It incorporates pin-connected members in the deck
structure, ornate tracery in the portal braces, a wood plank deck and it still retains its original builder's
plate. The structure appears to be unaltered. The bridge is currently closed to all but foot traffic. This
bridge may have been built in collaboration with the Village of Matteawan at the behest of Charles M.
Wolcott, who owned the adjacent Groveville Carpet Mill, as a means of mill worker access across the
creek. Squire Whipple (1804-1888), who lived much of his life in New York, is considered the father of
American iron bridge building and was the first to apply mathematics to calculate bridge member
stresses. This is a rare surviving unaltered 1870s highway bridge, of an unusual proprietary bridge
design, designed by a known and important bridge designer, and possibly a hybrid material structure
containing both wrought iron and steel members. The Bridge Street Bridge is not listed in the NYS
DOT Historic Bridge Inventory.
From Fishkill Creek Greenway & Heritage Trail Master Plan
- Abandoned Whipple through truss bridge over Fishkill Creek on Bridge Street
- Beacon, Dutchess County, New York
- Built 1879
- - New York Bridge Co.
- Whipple through truss with 8 panels, almost certainly wrought iron with cast components.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.51190, -73.94915 (decimal degrees)
41°30'43" N, 73°56'57" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/587691/4596118 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Wappingers Falls
- Inventory number
- BH 72913 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 16, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Pin-connected", "Wrought Iron"
- June 15, 2017: New photo from Luke
- August 3, 2016: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added description
- August 3, 2016: Updated by Luke: Added builder + date from Fishkill Creek Greenway & Heritage Trail Master Plan
- July 25, 2016: New Street View added by Luke