Rating:
No votes cast

Downsville Covered Bridge 32-13-01

Photos 

Photo taken by Brian McKee in May 2010

Enlarge

BH Photo #170515

Map 

Description 

Rebuilt extensively in 1998 using glue-laminated components such as the lower chords.

Facts 

Overview
Covered bridge over East Branch Delaware River on Bridge Street in Downsville
Location
Colchester, Delaware County, New York
Status
Open to pedestrians only
History
Built 1857 by Robert Murray; rehabilitated 1998
Design
Covered Queenpost through truss
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 155.8 ft.
Total length: 174.9 ft.
Deck width: 13.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 6.3 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 29, 1999
Approximate latitude, longitude
+42.07611, -74.99056   (decimal degrees)
42°04'34" N, 74°59'26" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/500781/4658226 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Downsville
Inventory numbers
NY 3352070 (New York State bridge identification number)
NRHP 99000503 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
WGCB 32-13-01 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 25927 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of June 2018)
Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 19 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • May 26, 2020: New photo from Chester Gehman
  • April 2, 2018: New photos from Josh Schmid
  • January 26, 2018: New photos from Dana and Kay Klein
  • July 25, 2010: New photos from Brian McKee

Sources 

Comments 

Bridge Street Bridge
Posted May 5, 2007, by Trish Kane (bobtrish68 [at] frontiernet [dot] net)

This single span, Long & Queen truss bridge is also known as the Downsville Covered Bridge and is located in the town of Downsville, NY. It was built in 1854 by Robert Murray and measures 174 feet. It was listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places on April 29, 1999. The World Guide to Covered Bridges has assigned the following number to this bridge: NY 32-13-01. This bridge was restored in 1998. Photos submitted by Bob and Trish Kane, Sherburne, NY.