Wall Street Bridge
Wall Street Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Quiet in August 2015
BH Photo #334818
This is an one of a trio of lenticular pony truss bridges built in 1881 by the Corrugated Metal Co. to cross the West Branch Tioughnioga River in Homer NY. This follows the pattern for an early lenticular pony configuration, with pinned endposts, parallel verticals, and an upper chord secured with battens. This particular one is still open to traffic (making it the oldest lenticular truss to still service traffic) and appears to be in fair condition.
This bridge is highly significant as one of only a handful of remaining bridges fabricated by Corrugated Metal Co. (before they changed their name to Berlin Iron Bridge Co. in 1883). It is further distinguished by its companion spans and the fact that it is still open to vehicular traffic.
- Pin-connected Lenticular pony truss bridge over West Branch Tioughnioga River on Wall Street in Homer
- Homer, Cortland County, New York
- Open to traffic
- Built 1881 by Corrugated Metal Company; rehabilitated 1988
- - Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut
- Corrugated Metal Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut [also known as Berlin Iron Bridge Co.]
- Lenticular pony truss
Length of largest span: 57.7 ft.
Total length: 58.7 ft.
Deck width: 10.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 5, 1977
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.63694, -76.17639 (decimal degrees)
42°38'13" N, 76°10'35" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/403551/4721170 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- NY 2207700 (New York State bridge identification number)
NRHP 77000938 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 25923 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 16.3 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 13, 2015: New photos from Michael Quiet
- August 17, 2014: Updated by Chester Gehman: Added NRHP Listing info
- May 1, 2014: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com