View from upstream
Photo taken by Michael Quiet in November 2015
BH Photo #342224
The Berlin Iron Bridge Company is usually associated its patented lenticular truss, which accounted for the majority of their bridge construction. Although less common, they also made examples of other common truss types, of which only a handful survive today. This bridge, while historically significant just as a production of this prolific 19th century bridge fabricator, is even more unique as this example is a Pennsylvania through truss.
This example shows the changing times for the Berlin Iron Bridge Company as the main truss material was steel (the switch from wrought iron to steel was made about 1892), but still retains the pin-connected construction style that was used until 1900.
The bridge is quite simple compared to other remaining Berlin Iron Bridge Company productions. Standard details that are seen on several other surviving examples (portal decorations, ornate builders plaque, decorative railings) are all absent on this bridge, giving it a spare look.
This Bridge was closed to traffic in 1993, but still is in surprisingly good shape. The wooden deck is still solid and safely cross-able. Some of the railings have fallen into the river, but are mostly intact. The superstructure is sound, with no obvious problem areas (save the deck stringers, which are the reason the bridge was closed to vehicular traffic). The western abutments concrete facade has begun to fall away in some areas, which could cause continued deterioration and might be a future concern.
- Pin Connected Pennsylvania through truss bridge over Saranac River on Kents Falls Road
- Morrisonville, Clinton County, New York
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Built 1898 by Berlin Iron Bridge Co.; Rehabilitated 1979; Closed 1993
- - Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut
- Pin Connected Pennsylvania through truss
Length of largest span: 178.2 ft.
Total length: 180.1 ft.
Deck width: 17.4 ft.
- Also called
- Saranac River Bridge
Kent Falls Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.69907, -73.60500 (decimal degrees)
44°41'57" N, 73°36'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/610521/4950468 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NY 3335790 (New York State bridge identification number)
BH 50500 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 24, 2015: Updated by Michael Quiet: Added categories "Wooden deck", "One-lane traffic"
- December 12, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added category "Pin-connected"