Rating:
No votes cast

K,AC&LC Ausable Chasam Bridge

Photo 

K,AC&LC Ausable Chasam Bridge

Remaining segment of the bridge support at the Ausable Chasam Park

Photo taken by Michael Quiet in April 2017

Enlarge

BH Photo #398256

Map 

Description 

Locally known as the "Peanut Line" due to its short run and diminutive locomotive, the Keeseville, AuSable Chasm and Lake Champlain Railroad was charted in 1889 to connect Keesville NY to Port Kent NY. The most impressive part of this short line was a cantilevered iron bridge across the Ausable Chaam, fabricated in 1890 by Berlin Iron Bridge Co.

The line saw steady business early on, but rapidly declined with the advent of automobiles. In 1911 the line was electrified, but reverted to its steam engine shortly thereafter due to continual problems. The line was forced to close due to a lack of business in 1924 and was removed thereafter.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Pratt deck truss bridge over Ausable River/Chasam
Location
Clinton County, New York
Status
Removed but not replaced
History
Built 1890 by Berlin Iron Bridge Co.; Scrapped 1924
Builder
- Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut
Railroad
- Keeseville, AuSable Chasm and Lake Champlain Railroad
Design
Cantilevered Pratt deck truss
Dimensions
Total length: 250.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.52455, -73.46287   (decimal degrees)
44°31'28" N, 73°27'46" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/622147/4931284 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 76455 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • July 26, 2017: New photo from Michael Quiet
  • June 30, 2017: Added by Michael Quiet

Sources 

  • Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com