The Cayuga Bridge cost $150,000 and took 18 months to construct, opening for service in 1800. One mile and 8 rods long, and 22 feet wide, it was then the longest bridge in America and possibly the world.
This structure enabled the traveler to avoid the Montezuma marshes. Completed in 1800, it fell a few years later, in 1804, but was rebuilt in 1812-13 and again in 1833. In 1857 it was abandoned. This noted bridge served for years as a popular dividing point between the East and West.
The bridge has been described as a "wonderful achievement" and the source of a "great boom to the county".
There was continual travel on the Genesee Turnpike and across Cayuga Lake Bridge; all kinds of stage coaches carrying passengers; heavy wagons with heavy loads of all sizes drawn by oxen; people going through on horseback; and others hiking across the state on foot with bundles across their backs.