Rating:
No votes cast

Delevan Covered Bridge

Photos 

Covered Bridge at Yorkshire Center

Yorkshire Center became Delevan in 1892

Image from Jackie Cornwall, Town of Yorkshire and Village of Delevan Historian

BH Photo #362939

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The covered Bridge at Yorkshire Center was Built in 1872 and spanned the Southern branch of Cattaraugus Creek. later in 1921, when Route 16 came through the village of Delevan, this bridge was dismantled and good materials were taken to nearby Lime Lake to be used in construction of cottages by Dr. Myron Fisher and Blaine Persons. In 1964 this bridge was again replaced with a steel bridge. Jackie Cornwall

Facts 

Overview
Lost Town lattice through truss bridge over South Branch Cattaraugus Creek on RT 16
Location
Delevan, Cattaraugus County, New York
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built 1872, Replaced 1921
Design
Town lattice through truss
Also called
Yorkshire Center Covered Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+42.50082, -78.47991   (decimal degrees)
42°30'03" N, 78°28'48" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/707069/4708461 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 73482 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • June 16, 2017: New photo from Dana and Kay Klein
  • September 5, 2016: Updated by Luke: Added information from LostBridges
  • September 5, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein

Sources 

Comments 

Delevan Covered Bridge
Posted June 16, 2017, by J angrignon (shemitah9 [at] yahoo [dot] com)

Truly a historical and economic tragedy for the town of Yorkshire and the village of Delevan, that the town fathers at the time did not see the future economic impact that retaining the covered bridge could have had in tourist activity in the area!another quaint symbol of the past discarded and viewed as "progress"! Sad indeed! On the bright side, Israel is back in its ancestral homeland! Happy days!