SP - Truckee River Bridge (Abandoned)
Railroad Bridge over the Truckee River at Wadsworth Nevada
Railroad Bridge over the Truckee River at Wadsworth Nevada taken from Nevada Highway 427.
Photo taken by Mike Lynch
License: Released into public domain
BH Photo #255662
After being abandon as the Southern Pacific mainline due to a reroute, in 1913-14 the Fernley and Lassen Railroad was built and extended from Fernley, Nevada, to Westwood in California, where by 1918 two passenger trains arrived daily, along with freight and logging trains. Between 1918 and 1934, both the Lassen Lumber and Box Company and the Fruit Growers Exchange Company had established branch lines from Westwood into their holdings. Then, local business slowed with the arrival of the Western Pacific Railroad lines to Westwood in 1931 and by 1934 passenger service to Westwood ended. Seasonal logging trains continued to run to Westwood until the end of 1952 when the Fruit Growers abandoned its logging railroad and camps. Local rail freighting ended in 1956 and in 1978 the Interstate Commerce Commission approved the S.P.'s petition of abandonment of the Fernley and Lassen Railroad.
Truckee River, named from the Indian guide of Gen. Frémont, flows through the old town of Wadsworth just beyond Fernley and 100 or more feet below the present railroad grade.
The original route of the Central Pacific passed down into this valley, and Wadsworth was one of the important stations on it. Now, however, the railroad swings to the south to maintain an even grade on the westward climb along upper Truckee River.
- Through truss bridge over Truckee River on Union Pacific Railroad
- Washoe County, Nevada
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built in 1907 when the mainline ran along this route but was subsequently re-routed south of the Truckee River. In 1913, it became part of the Fernley Lassen Railroad Line which operated until 1955. The line was officially abandoned in1978.
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- - Fernley & Lassen Railway (F&L)
- Southern Pacific Railroad (SP)
- Steel Through truss with wood deck
Span length: 212.0 ft.
Total length: 212.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 28.0 ft.
- Also called
- Fernley Lassen Truckee River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.63254, -119.28259 (decimal degrees)
39°37'57" N, 119°16'57" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/304108/4389463 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 4068 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 56500 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 25, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- November 15, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- March 10, 2014: Updated by Craig Philpott: added photos refined description
- June 8, 2013: New photo from Mike Lynch
- June 7, 2013: Added by Mike Lynch