Rio Hondo Bridge
Bridge after repairs by Bach Steel
The bridge was repainted after these photos were taken.
Photo taken by Nels Raynor, Bach Steel in October 2017
BH Photo #417253
Originally built in 1927 for US Route 66 near Montoya, Quay County, NM, over Arroyo Laguna (estimated location is 35.092781, -104.077217) as part of "New Mexico Project 76." Replaced by steel beam bridge in 1951. Truss bridge was dismantled and relocated to its current location in 1953. Current bridge is on State Historic Register, File #744 (Listed 8/24/1979)
- Through truss bridge over Rio Hondo on NM 395
- Lincoln County, New Mexico
- Open to traffic
- Built 1927; Relocated here in 1953; Restored in 2017 by Bach Steel.
- - BACH Steel of Holt, Michigan (2017 Steel Restoration)
- Virginia Bridge & Iron Co. of Roanoke, Virginia [also known as Virginia Bridge Co.]
- Parker through truss
Length of largest span: 140.0 ft.
Total length: 145.0 ft.
Deck width: 19.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.2 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.36693, -105.24366 (decimal degrees)
33°22'01" N, 105°14'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 13/477332/3691992 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- NM 5272 (New Mexico bridge number)
BH 25669 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 35.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 1, 2018: Updated by Roger Deschner: Added category "US 66"
- January 30, 2018: New photos from Nathan Holth
- September 25, 2017: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added history and corrected dates per NMDOT.
- September 5, 2017: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- April 1, 2010: Updated by Craig Philpott: added street view corrected GPS data