Higgin's Mill Bridge
concrete bridges are still being made in this general simple style in the bi-county area.
Photo taken by Andrew Pearce in September 2012
BH Photo #239218
Less than 200 yards SW of the more widely known Higginsville Road pair of through trusses, the Higgin's Mill Bridge marks where the Higgins brothers had their grist mill in the early 19th century.
Written by Andrew Pearce
An insignificant culvert crossing; one of the several very minor crossings on the aptly named Three Bridges Road, which itself has 6 major bridges attached to it and yet no bigger bridge of it's own than this one.
But it's the name that is important. There has never officially been a place called Higginsville in this very western corner of Somerset County, but the Higgins family has lived in the area since the late 1790s/early 1800s, and still has descendants in the county.
So the bridge is named after a mill that existed perhaps 100 years before this bridge was built, though the odds are very good that this concrete span replaced a simple wooden plank or kingpost crossing. No trace of the mill remains, but it was still extant in 1881.
- Concrete culvert bridge over possible mill spillway into South Branch Raritan River on Three Bridges Road
- Somerset County, New Jersey
- Open to traffic
- Built 1928 by Snook Bros
- - Snook Brothers
- Concrete culvert
Total length: 40.0 ft.
Deck width: 30.0 ft.
- Also called
- Three Bridges Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.50720, -74.78614 (decimal degrees)
40°30'26" N, 74°47'10" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/518119/4484075 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 53523 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 13, 2012: Essay added by Andrew Pearce