New Brunswick, New Jersey
The United New Jersey Railroad and Canal Company, owner.
The present four-track bridge over the Raritan River at New Brunswick consists of 21 spans of stone arches, the clear spans varying from 51 feet to 72 feet each. The bridge was constructed in 1903 and has a total length of 1,428 feet.
The first bridge in this location was a double-deck Howe-truss bridge 1,577 feet long constructed in 1838 with a highway on the lower deck, on a masonry substructure. Late in 1877 work was begun on the replacement of this wooden bridge with a double-track iron structure of seven iron fixed deck-spans having three trusses each with stone-arch approaches. The drawspan, 146 feet long, had been renewed in 1872. While the work was in progress, this bridge was entirely destroyed by fire on March 9, 1878, but traffic was resumed over a temporary structure five days later.
In 1896, the superstructure was again renewed with five deck truss-spans, each 147 feet long, and one drawspan over the canal, all for two tracks, and in 1903 it was replaced by the present four-track bridge.