INFORMATION Bibliography: Geiger, Carl. The Peddie School First Century. Mercer County Engineers Office. Transfer File & Plans #863.4.
Physical Description: The well-preserved 2-span thru truss bridge on coursed ashlar abutments and mid-stream pier is an unusual and possibly unique double intersection Warren with floor beam hangers. The panel points and hangers carry built-up floor beams which appears to be original. The present steel deck and stringers were installed in 1969. The inclined end posts and top chord are composed of channels and plates while the diagonals are toe-out angles joined by battens. The tension members have narrower battens and pass through the wider-spaced compression members. The lattice portal brace is topped with cresting at the outside panels, and the roller bearing of each span is also located at the abutment end. The pipe railing which passes through the compression members is original. With the exception of the steel open grid deck, the bridge is in remarkably complete condition with no visible major welded repairs. The grid does not detract from the integrity of the bridge.
Historical and Technological Significance: The 2-span thru truss built in 1896 is a nearly complete example of the uncommon doubleintersection Warren with floor beam hangers. It was fabricated and possibly designed by the New Jersey Steel and Iron Company of Trenton, one of the most important mills in the country prior to its absorption into the Carnegie's American Bridge Company in 1901. The company was established as the Trenton Iron Company in 1846 when Peter Hewitt received a $180,000. contract for rolled iron rail from the Camden & Amboy Railroad. In 1854 the company produced the first rolled 7" I-beams. The rolled beams were to revolutionize building construction. Trenton Iron & Steel Co. produced all kinds of structural steel, including shaped steel for many New York City skyscrapers, elevated street railways in New York and Brooklyn, and even Civil War-era gun barrels. Mercer County records indicate that many New Jersey Steel and Iron Company bridges once stood in the county. The non-extant mid-1880s viaducts over North Olden and Southard Streets in Trenton were their work as is the extant 1888 Jackson Street Pratt truss in Trenton
The well-preserved East Ward Avenue bridge survives as one of the best albeit late examples of a New Jersey Steel and Iron Company bridge in the region. It is an unusual example of a double intersection Warren with floor beam hangers. Technologically it represents one of the many variations on the traditionally used trusses that were promoted and marketed during the last quarter of the 19th century. Prior to the consolidation of smaller bridge fabricating companies into the American Bridge Company conglomerate in 1901, the independent fabricators both designed and fabricated the trusses they marketed.
The bridge spans Peddie Lake, a long narrow mill pond created in the 18th century by damming Rocky Creek, a tributary of the Millstone River. The pond's water powered grain mills through the 19th century. The lake is now named for the private school located on its western shore. Founded in 1864 as the New Jersey Classical and Scientific Institute by the state's Baptists, the name of the preparatory school was changed in 1872 to honor its chief benefactor. The bridge carries a local street and serves as a more direct route to the northeast section of town, a predominantly 19th century community.
Boundary Description and Justification: The bridge does not appear to be located in or contiguous to a potential historic district. It is not historically related to the Peddie School that is located on the west side of the span. Therefore, the significant boundary is limited to the span itself and does not include surrounding property.