Stony Brook Bridge - Princeton Pike
Similar to the 1792 Rt. 206 bridge that is a mile or two upstream. View looking downstream
Photo uploaded by Art S.
View this photo at ebay.com
BH Photo #440124
Copied from the 2002 update of the 1987 NJ historic bridge survey
SETTING / CONTEXT
The 3-span stone arch bridge is on the historic Princeton & Kingston Branch Turnpike, a road constructed in 1807 between Trenton the Kings Highway in Kingston. The bridge is on a sharp curve, and it crosses a wide shallow stream in a wooded residential area just south of the borough of Princeton.
SUMMARY Reportedly built in 1809, the impressive 3-span rubble-coursed stone arch bridge is well proportioned. It has been extensively rebuilt over the years. The north arch and ice breakers collapsed partially in 1973, but were rebuilt as were the parapets. A slab was added to carry live loads. The bridge is still a significant early engineering accomplishment and a remnant of the Princeton Turnpike, chartered in 1804. It is one of three ca. 1800 3-span stone arches in the area. All are eligible.
- Stone arch bridge over Stony Brook on CR 583
- Princeton, Mercer County, New Jersey
- Open to traffic
- Built 1809; rehabilitated 1979
- Stone arch
Length of largest span: 40.0 ft.
Total length: 110.9 ft.
Deck width: 22.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.32686, -74.68038 (decimal degrees)
40°19'37" N, 74°40'49" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/527152/4464086 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- NJ 1100005 (New Jersey bridge number)
BH 25366 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 60.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 21, 2020: Updated by Art Suckewer: Added details and history of bridge
- December 25, 2019: New photo from Art Suckewer
- December 30, 2018: New photo from Art Suckewer
- July 22, 2016: Updated by Art Suckewer: Corrected build date from 1900 to 1800 and ammended name