Rating:
No votes cast

Point Pleasant Delaware River Bridge (2nd steel truss)

Photos 

1908 postmark

Photo uploaded by Art S.

Enlarge

View this photo at ebay.com

BH Photo #485380

Map 

Description 

Two narratives, the first from bucksbridges which is likely correct. The second is from Wikipedia with some corrections by me. Point Pleasant - Byram (1855 - 1892) Point Pleasant - Byram https://bucksbridges.com/items/show/51

Today, only the piers of the old covered bridge at Point Pleasant between New Jersey and Pennsylvania remain visible in the Delaware River.

The spot had been used to cross the river as early as 1739, when ferry service was established at the location of a popular shad fishing location. In 1855, the Point Pleasant Delaware Bridge Company built its 895-foot-long covered bridge across the river at a cost of $16,350. The bridge needed to be rebuilt partially after the 1862 floods.

On March 29, 1892, a fire broke out on the New Jersey side of the Point Pleasant Bridge at a railroad depot. Sparks from the fire soon spread to the covered bridge, which became engulfed in flames.

The company replaced the wooden bridge with a steel structure in 1893. However, that bridge was lost in the great 1903 flood. A replacement steel bridge remained in place until Hurricane Diane in 1955, when floods swept away the structure. That bridge was never replaced, leaving its piers behind in the river as the only visible evidence of its existence.

From Wikipedia with additions, edits and corrections by Art S. (references deleted): The Point Pleasant–Byram Bridge was a bridge across the Delaware River between Point Pleasant, Bucks County, Pennsylvania and the Byram section of Kingwood, Hunterdon County, New Jersey that functioned for 100 years - from 1855 to 1955. The last bridge was a five-span, steel structure that was lost to the flooding of Hurricane Diane in August on 1955. Having been built in 1904-1905 following a tradition of replacing prior washed out bridges after each previous the predecessor bridges (built in 1855 as a wooden covered bridge, badly damaged but repaired in 1862 and was burned in 1892 and rebuilt in 1893 as a steel truss structure and lost to flooding in 1903. Funded by a private company, the final bridge was one of the most modern on the river when opened in 1905. It was tolled until February 13, 1919 when the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission paid the owners for the bridge.

Flooding from Hurricane Connie and Hurricane Diane in 1955 wiped away the bridge once again, along with three others along the river. Unlike the Yardley–Wilburtha and Portland–Columbia Pedestrian Bridge, the Point Pleasant–Byram Bridge was never replaced and the piers, mostly original to 1855, remain in the Delaware River.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Bridge over Delaware Riverr on Byram Rd.
Location
Point Pleasant PA, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, and Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Status
Destroyed by flooding
History
Built 1905
Design
4 spans with double intersection Warren through truss with no verticals. One span Camelback.
Dimensions
Total length: 895.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.42385, -75.06169   (decimal degrees)
40°25'26" N, 75°03'42" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/494767/4474803 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 90799 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • November 9, 2020: New photo from Art Suckewer
  • October 5, 2020: Updated by Art Suckewer: fixed description
  • October 4, 2020: Updated by Art Suckewer: added truss types

Sources 

  • Art Suckewer - Asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com