Iron Bridge Road bridge
coming downhill, NW, onto the bridge
Photo taken by Andrew Pearce in August 2012
BH Photo #237573
Galvanized Girder bridge, skewed nearly 45 degrees to RR. Bridge is also at an angle to the road, turning sharply to the right as you come downhill. This makes the bridge nearly a blind corner all by itself.
Bridge shows no signs of rusting. Timber deck is in great shape. Side channels are bolted together, not welded. The train tracks are said to be abandoned, but appear to be in excellent and usable condition.
Whatever the 1852 bridge was, it is completely gone.
- Girder bridge over abandoned Raritan Valley Line on Iron Bridge Road
- Bethlehem, Hunterdon County, New Jersey
- Open to traffic
- Built 1852; new bridge installed 1900, rehabilitated 2002
- - Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ)
- New Jersey Transit (NJTR)
- Galvanized Girder bridge, skewed nearly 45 degrees to RR. Bridge is also at an angle to the road, turning sharply to the right as you come downhill. This makes the bridge nearly a blind corner all by itself.
Length of largest span: 46.9 ft.
Total length: 50.9 ft.
Deck width: 11.2 ft.
- Also called
- Raritan Valley Line Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.68806, -75.00056 (decimal degrees)
40°41'17" N, 75°00'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/499953/4504129 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- NJ 1061165 (New Jersey bridge number)
BH 53170 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 64.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 29, 2019: New photos from Geoff Hubbs
- August 5, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
- September 26, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "New Jersey Transit"
- August 14, 2012: Updated by Andrew Pearce: Added category "Skewed"