Strimples Mill Road Bridge
portal view from east end
Photo taken by Andrew Pearce in September 2012
BH Photo #239333
from the county survey:
"The single-span pin-connected Pratt thru-truss bridge is supported on random ashlar abutments with U-type
wingwalls. The trusses appear to be original with the exception of the floor beams, stringers and deck that have been recently replaced,
the addition of welded corner braces to the top laterals, and welded braces extending from the portal struts to the exterior floor beams.
The trusses are pin-connected throughout. The portals and top chord consist of two channels, a cover plate and lacing. The intermediate
verticals consist of two channels with lacing. The lacing on the verticals parallels the bridge centerline. The bottom chord eyebars and
diagonal eyebars have forged eyes. The counters are provided with sleeve nuts for adjustment. The end panel vertical hanger has a fourprong,
claw-like ends which engage the pins directly over and in line of the U-bolt floor beam hanger. Such an arrangement, also seen on
King Bridge Company spans from the same era, means that the hangers are out of phase or reversed. The expansion bearings consist of
- Through truss bridge over Lockatong Creek on Strimples Mill Road
- Hunterdon County, New Jersey
- Open to traffic
- Built 1897; rehabilitated 2005
- - Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 93.2 ft.
Total length: 95.1 ft.
Deck width: 14.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.1 ft.
- Skew angle
- 10 degrees
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 4, 2016
- Also called
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.43694, -75.01167 (decimal degrees)
40°26'13" N, 75°00'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/499010/4476255 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NJ 10XX481 (New Jersey bridge number)
NRHP 16000693 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 25320 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 47.4 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- November 13, 2016: Updated by James Baughn: Bridge has been added to NRHP
- April 13, 2015: Updated by Art Suckewer: Added pictures and removed the skew label - pretty certain its straight.
- September 14, 2012: Updated by Andrew Pearce: Added category "Pin-connected" and pictures