NS - Church Street Overpass
One end of boilerplate girder span rests on abutment, the other end sits on a laced metal post along with the Warren truss: a bent.
The bents have their own diagonals and a bottom chord AND a lower half vertical that supports both diagonals.
Photo taken by Andrew Pearce in September 2012
BH Photo #238478
"The 3-span bridge is composed of two short deck girder approach spans and a 6-panel riveted Warren with verticals pony truss main span
built with curved parallel chords to increase clearance over the tracks. It is supported on concrete abutments and laced steel bents.
Riveted outriggers are original. An expansion plate is located in the center of the span. Although there are no distinctive details, it is an
unaltered example of a bridge type commonly used by the railroads since the 1890s."
- dual truss bridge over NS frmr Lehigh Valley Railroad on Church Street (CR 579) in Bloomsbury
- Bloomsbury, Hunterdon County, New Jersey
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- bridge has "orphan" status; there is a possibility that it will be replaced. see
- Built 1910; rehabilitated 1985
- - Conrail (CR)
- Lehigh Valley Railroad (LV)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- arched Warren pony truss with alternating verticals mounted on bents
Length of largest span: 81.0 ft.
Total length: 128.9 ft.
Deck width: 13.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 99.9 ft.
- Skew angle
- 45 degrees
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Church Street Bridge
CR 579 Bridge over LVRR
Church Street Bridge over LVRR
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.65040, -75.08282 (decimal degrees)
40°39'01" N, 75°04'58" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/492998/4499952 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- NJ 1050161 (New Jersey bridge number)
BH 25251 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2018)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 41.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 5, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- February 27, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- December 28, 2020: New photo from Patrick Gurwell
- June 29, 2013: Updated by Dave King: Corrected GPS coordinates
- September 1, 2012: Updated by Andrew Pearce: added data, news link, and pictures
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Patrick Gurwell - pgurwell [at] gmail [dot] com
- Geoff Hubbs