Milford Road Overpass
Photo taken by Andrew Pearce in September 2012
BH Photo #238482
"The 1891 9-panel Howe pony truss bridge is of riveted construction. It rests on bearing plates supported on 1917 concrete abutments with
wingwalls. It has timber stringers and deck. The deck is cambered, but not the truss. Three blast plates remain. Knee braces are used at
each floorbeam rather than outriggers. The floorbeams are attached to only the inside plate of the bottom chord. The bridge is extremely
well preserved, and it is one of the most distinctive early RR spans in the area."
- Wrought iron Howe pony truss bridge over NS Lehigh Valley Mainline on Milford Road in Bloomsbury
- Bloomsbury, Hunterdon County, New Jersey
- Open to traffic
- Built 1891, altered 1917; rehabilitated 1933-4
- - Philadelphia Bridge Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- - Conrail (CR)
- Lehigh Valley Railroad (LV)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Howe pony truss
Length of largest span: 91.9 ft.
Total length: 96.1 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.64722, -75.09028 (decimal degrees)
40°38'50" N, 75°05'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/492367/4499600 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- NJ 1050160 (New Jersey bridge number)
BH 25280 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 58.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 8, 2021: New photos from Geoff Hubbs
- December 28, 2020: New photos from Patrick Gurwell
- January 9, 2019: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- September 1, 2012: Updated by Andrew Pearce: Added category "Wrought iron"