Kingwood-Locktown Road Bridge
Photo taken by Andrew Pearce in September 2012
BH Photo #239554
Something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.
Written by Andrew Pearce
Everything I read says this bridge was built in the late 40s, yet it looks almost exactly like the McCan Mill Road bridge from 1923
( http://www.bridgehunter.com/nj/hunterdon/100T35S/ ) aside from some extra lacing on the diagonals. Similarities in style with the Manners Road bridge from http://www.bridgehunter.com/nj/hunterdon/bh53443/ which is thought to be from the 1920s as well.
And given that the Kuhls Road bridge from 1936 is entirely welded
it's rather difficult to accept that one 13 years younger was made with rivets ... and that "1914 boiler look". And then we come to the extra plates welded on.
But it is the doubled up side plates and their orthogonal "jumper connectors" that make this bridge unique. They look for all the world like some kind of brackets for holding something, but there are just oo many of them and they're too large for that. Did this bridge have a bad case of the wobbles that had to be cured?
So my thought is that this one is quite a bit older than 1949, My guess is 1915, and may have been reworked and strengthened and perhaps even moved to this location in 1949.
- Pony truss bridge over Wickecheoke Creek on Kingwood-Locktown Road in Kingtown
- Hunterdon County, New Jersey
- Open to traffic
- Built 1949; rehabilitated 2003
- Warren pony truss with alternating verticals
Length of largest span: 72.2 ft.
Total length: 74.2 ft.
Deck width: 24.6 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.48278, -74.97556 (decimal degrees)
40°28'58" N, 74°58'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/502071/4481343 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- NJ 100K153 (New Jersey bridge number)
BH 25267 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2015)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 62.6 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 9, 2019: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- September 17, 2012: Essay added by Andrew Pearce