Kingwood Stockton Road Bridge(s) over Lockatong Creek
another double bridge
bridge zone includes bridge 1000010, which is the 3 arch concrete span from 1941. Truss is bridge 1000011, built first in 1940.
Photo taken by Andrew Pearce in September 2012
BH Photo #239318
For the truss:
"The bridge carries a 2-lane collector road over a minor stream in a wooded rural area with sparse housing. The bridge adjoins a stone
arch span that crosses the flood channel"
"The skewed 4-panel riveted Warren pony truss bridge is supported on random ashlar abutments that were reinforced with concrete at an
unknown date. Dated 1940 by the county, the bridge exhibits no distinctive details. It was rehabilitated in 1983 and has numerous welded repairs and reinforcing of joints. If the 1940 date is accurate, it is a late example of its type."
For the arch:
"The bridge carries two lanes of a moderately traveled county road over a minor stream. The setting is wooded and rural with sparse
housing. A marker identifies the adjacent structure as the 1830 tavern built to replace the 1750 log Kingswood Tavern located on the
same site. The bridge is contiguous to a pony truss span (1000011) that crosses the main channel of the stream."
"According to county records, the now corrugated steel-lined arches of the 3-span bridge are concrete lined. The original date of
construction is not known, nor is it known if the spans are stone or concrete arches. 1941 may well be the date of reconstruction. The
structure, which has larger arches flanking the central arch, is finished with coursed ashlar spandrel walls and ringstones. The
undocumented span is not known to be historically or technologically distinguished. No plans survive."
- Pony truss bridge AND concrete arch span over Lockatong Creek on CR 519 in Kingtown
- Hunterdon County, New Jersey
- Collapsed due to accident, replaced
- Built 1940; rehabilitated 1983; Collapsed due to accident 2014
- single span Warren pony truss, 67 ft long 26.6 ft wide
3 span concrete arch, 52 ft long 28.1 ft wide
Span length: 63.0 ft.
Total length: 63.0 ft.
Deck width: 26.6 ft.
- Also called
- CR 519 Bridge over Lockatong Creek
Lockatong Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.47120, -75.02118 (decimal degrees)
40°28'16" N, 75°01'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/498204/4480058 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NJ 1000011 (New Jersey bridge number)
BH 25271 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 06/2011)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 43.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- September 14, 2012: Updated by Andrew Pearce: Two bridges, one entry.
- September 5, 2012: Updated by Andrew Pearce: added data and Street View