Belleville Copper Rolling-Mill Bridge
East view of bridge
Photo taken by Mary Higgins
BH Photo #352827
Built in 1838, this aqueduct-style brownstone arch bridge spans across the Second River along side of Mill Street in Belleville, NJ, and was used for copper mill operations and transporting.
Formally the Soho Copper Company established in 1812, this property was owned by five generations of the Hendricks family who operated the Belleville Copper Rolling Mill from 1813-1938. The mill approx. employed 100 workers, many who were Irish immigrants and supplied the US government with heavy copper sheets for boilers, and bolts for ship-building during the War of 1812.
Rolling Hills Copper Mill supplied copper sheeting for:
"The Demologus" - First U.S. steam war vessel in 1814
"The Savannah" - First steam propelled vessel to cross Atlantic in 1818
"Old Ironsides" - Famous locomotive built by Matthias W. Baldwin in 1832
In 1924, Harmon Hendricks generously donated 20 acres of his land to the Essex County Park Commission. As of 2016, this arch bridge was threaten to be demolished by the township. Fortunately due to protests by the good citizens of Belleville, the bridge is currently undergoing restoration.
- Stone arch bridge over Second River
- Belleville, Essex County, New Jersey
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- 1838 brownstone arch bridge over the Second River used by the Belleville Copper Rolling Mill
- - Freeholders 1838
- J. Moore, T. Sandford, H. Nichols
- Brownstone arch bridge design
Total length: 140.0 ft.
Deck width: 30.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Hendricks Bros Bridge
Second River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.79027, -74.17327 (decimal degrees)
40°47'25" N, 74°10'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/569749/4515804 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 80 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 72082 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 5, 2016: New photos from Ron Reyer
- May 2, 2016: New photo from Ron Reyer
- May 1, 2016: Added by Ron Reyer