Beesley's Point-Somers Point Bridge
Main Drawspan Of Beesley's Point Bridge
The currently locked open draw span awaits its removal. the concrete piers are not what supports the span. In the backround is the Beesley's Point Generating Station, a coal power plant with a cooling tower.
Photo by Adam Elmquist
View this photo at geolocation.ws
BH Photo #220374
Carried the Garden State Parkway until its bridge was completed in 1955.
- Lost Deck plate girder bascule bridge over Great Egg Harbor Bay on US 9
- Somers Point, Cape May County, New Jersey, and Atlantic County, New Jersey
- Future prospects
- Bridge is being demolished, most of the structure is gone.
- Built 1928 for the Ocean City Automobile Club; Closed 2004; Demolished 2013-14
- Steel beams on wooden piers support the bascule approach spans, the concrete piers on the underside of the bridge are non functional. The wooden decked bascule span is locked in the up position.
Length of largest span: 80.1 ft.
Total length: 4,004.1 ft. (0.8 mi.)
Deck width: 27.9 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.29281, -74.62611 (decimal degrees)
39°17'34" N, 74°37'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/532241/4349336 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2006)
- Inventory numers
- NJ 3900001 (New Jersey bridge number)
BH 25149 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2006)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 9.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 18, 2014: Updated by Stephen Greer: Lost
- June 17, 2014: New Street View added by Stephen Greer
- October 18, 2013: Updated by Stephen Greer: Updated current status
- April 14, 2012: New photo from Stephen Greer
- November 18, 2011: Updated by Stephen Greer: Added photos
- June 8, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth