NJ 16M 1
Photo taken by Chester Gehman in June 2018
BH Photo #429902
A bailey truss has been added inboard of the original lenticular trusses.
The text from a sign on the road leading to the bridge.
The Cleveland Bridge
Named for Grover Cleveland of N.J., it replaced an 1840's wooden bridge that served the extensive timbre industry in the Ramapo Mountains. Constructed by the Berlin Iron Bridge Co. East Berlin, Conn., the major iron bridge builders of the northeast, it is one of two Ramapo River bridges which survived the record flood of 1903. Repaired in 1923 and historically restored by the County in 1983, it is the oldest of it's type by this builder in New Jersey. The lenticular truss design is also called "Bowstring" or "Pumpkin-seed" because of its profile. The Cleveland Bridge is the County's only functioning wood-decked traffic bridge.
Mahwah Historic Sites Committee 1988
- Lenticular Pony truss bridge over Ramapo River on Bear Swamp Road
- Bergen County, New Jersey
- Open to traffic
- Built 1888; rehabilitated 1923; restored in 1983
- - Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut
- Pin-connected Lenticular pony truss with an added bailey truss inside
Length of largest span: 83.0 ft.
Total length: 84.0 ft.
Deck width: 13.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Bear Swamp Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.06577, -74.20818 (decimal degrees)
41°03'57" N, 74°12'29" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/566527/4546360 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- NJ 020033A (New Jersey bridge number)
BH 25054 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2018)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 58.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- July 22, 2020: New photos from Patrick Gurwell
- July 1, 2018: New photos from Chester Gehman
- August 18, 2012: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "Bailey truss"
- August 14, 2012: Updated by Fmiser: Changed the name and added the contents of a description sign.
- April 21, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added GPS and info.
- Nathan Holth
- Fmiser - fmiser [at] gmail [dot] com
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Patrick Gurwell - pgurwell [at] gmail [dot] com