Margate/Downbeach Express Bridge
Beach Thorofare Bridge
Photo taken by Douglas Butler in April 2013
BH Photo #292129
From owning company's website:
The Margate Bridge was built in 1929 by Ole Hansen and his crew while in the employ of F. W. Schwiers & Company. The owner maintained the bridge for many years until it faced financial difficulties. In 1963, the Hansen family, together with another local family, the Capaldi's, formed the Margate Bridge Company and purchased the approximately two-mile causeway and four bridges from the U.S. Bankruptcy Court. The causeway, consisting of three fixed spans and one double-leaf operable span, was constructed to allow automobile traffic to travel across Beach Thoroughfare.
The bridge is managed by Ole Hansen & Sons, Inc. (OHS). A full-time crew employed by OHS handles all maintenance and repairs. The multi-span toll bridge system—known as the Downbeach Express—is part of the Intracoastal Waterway System that offers boaters ocean-free travel between the Canadian border and Florida. The bridge connecting the towns of Margate and Northfield is one of only three privately owned toll bridges in the State of New Jersey.
In 2003, the company installed a new toll collection system that used a pre-paid automated toll card. The technically advanced Quick Toll Card (QTC) greatly improved the convenience and efficiency of the bridge for its patrons.
In 2012, the company re-branded the Margate Bridge as Downbeach Express and installed a new toll system that provides better convenience, better efficiency and better savings to its customers.
- Bascule bridge over Beach Thorofare on Margate Blvd. (CR 563) in Margate City
- Margate City, Atlantic County, New Jersey
- Open to traffic
- Built 1929; rehabilitated 1985
- - Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge Co. of Chicago, Illinois
Length of largest span: 80.1 ft.
Total length: 554.2 ft.
Deck width: 27.9 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Beach Thorofare Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.33768, -74.51406 (decimal degrees)
39°20'16" N, 74°30'51" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/541877/4354362 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Ocean City
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- NJ 4700001 (New Jersey bridge number)
BH 25043 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 35 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 19, 2018: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Corrected ownership and added history
- September 15, 2016: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- November 30, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- August 24, 2014: New photo from Douglas Butler
- November 15, 2011: New Street View added by Nathan Holth