Depot Road Over Suncook River
Depot Road over the Suncook River, Chichester, NH.
Photo taken by David P. Timmins in February 2009
Located in central NH is this well preserved lenticular through truss bridge that is an outstanding example of preservation of a historic bridge. Built in 1887 by the Berlin Iron Bridge Co. this bridge employees a single span with a short overall height, resulting in its offset portal bracing. The bridge is located in a quiet neighborhood over an idyllic river, giving a beautiful setting. Thankfully this bridge retains an outstanding amount of historical integrity and has been very well maintained by the community since it was bypassed by a modern steel stringer in 1981. Indeed over the years the bridge has been rehabilitated, painted, and had abutment work, showing how much the community values this beautiful structure.
The bridge, as noted, retains a excellent amount of historical integrity, with no obvious modifications to the bridge. Decorative details common to Berlin Iron Bridges (such as cast iron finials, portal cresting, and builders plaque are all still in place (although one of the builders plaques is a replica, as it was missing at the time this bridge was closed). The truss itself is in good order, although there are a few spots that show signs of stress deflection.
Also of note is the level of work mentioned earlier that has gone into the preservation and maintenance of this bridge. Given that this are usually the biggest obstacles seen to retaining and preserving historic bridges, it is a remarkable sight to see a community take such great care of the bridge. This includes a rehabilitation (with new wooden deck) and painting done when the bridge was converted to pedestrian use in 1981, Rebuilding of the east abutment in 2006, and a repainting of the bridge in 2007. Truly an example of how a community can rally behind a unique and significant historic bridge.
- Pin connected Lenticular through truss bridge over Suncook River in Chichester
- Merrimack County, New Hampshire
- Open to pedestrians only since 1978, renovation completed in 1981
- Built 1887 by the Berlin Iron Bridge Co.; Closed to traffic 1978; Bypassed and rehabilitated for pedestrian use 1981
- - Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut
- Wrought iron lenticular through truss with cast iron plaques, crestings and finials.
Span length: 96.1 ft.
Total length: 96.1 ft.
Deck width: 15.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 12.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 10, 2004
- Also called
- Thunder Bridge, Depot Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.25722, -71.36944 (decimal degrees)
43°15'26" N, 71°22'10" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/307674/4792105 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 04000149 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 24985 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 01/2007)
- Sufficiency rating: 0.0 (out of 100)
- June 22, 2016: New photos from Michael Quiet
- July 5, 2014: Updated by Fmiser: Added category "Wrought Iron"
- March 25, 2014: New photo from David P. Timmins
- May 27, 2011: Updated by Will: Added National Register information
- February 14, 2009: Updated name and design
- February 14, 2009: New photos from David P. Timmins
- David P. Timmins - grumpytimm [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Will Truax - Bridgewright [at] gmail [dot] com
- Fmiser - fmiser [at] gmail [dot] com
- Chichester Historical Society - Historical Society's website about the bridge
- Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com