This bridge was once a direct link between Boscawen, NH and Canterbury, NH.
Photo taken by David P. Timmins
BH Photo #125713
This bridge seems to have lost favor in use to the US Rt 3 & 4 Bridge over the Merrimack River, approx 3 miles downstream. Personally having this bridge back in used to light vehicle traffic would be a plus and would reconnect the 2 towns it connected in a more direct way.
The next river crossing south of this location is 2.5 miles. The next river crossing to the north is 9.7 miles.
- Through truss bridge over Merrimack River on Old Canterbury Road in Boscawen
- Canterbury, Merrimack County, New Hampshire
- Removed but not replaced
- Built 1907, Closed in 1965; Demolished 2014
- - American Bridge Co. of New York (Fabricator)
- John Williams Storrs (Designer)
- United Construction Co. of Albany, New York (Contractor)
- Two-span riveted Parker through truss
Length of largest span: 170.0 ft.
Total length: 347.1 ft.
Deck width: 17.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Old Canterbury Road Bridge
Depot Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.31722, -71.61806 (decimal degrees)
43°19'02" N, 71°37'05" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/287703/4799371 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 24984 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2008)
- Overall condition: Fair
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- July 11, 2020: New photos from Geoff Hubbs
- November 21, 2018: New photo from David P. Timmins
- February 17, 2018: Updated by Amanda: more common bridge name
- August 3, 2015: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- May 25, 2015: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- December 10, 2014: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished.
- October 20, 2013: Photo imported by Dave King
- April 27, 2012: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added and updated information.
- October 27, 2009: Updated by C Hanchey: Bridge is known as the Depot Street Bridge
- October 12, 2008: New photos from David P. Timmins
- David P. Timmins - grumpytimm [at] yahoo [dot] com
- C Hanchey - cmh2315fl [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Nathan Holth
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Geoff Hubbs