Thompson Crossing Bridge
Thompson Crossing Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Quiet
BH Photo #305004
The Berlin Iron Bridge Company is usually associated its patented lenticular truss, which accounted for the majority of their bridge construction. Although less common, they also made examples of other common truss types, of which only a handful survive today. This bridge, while historically significant just as a production of this prolific 19th century bridge fabricator, is even more unique as this example is a straight Pratt through truss.
This example shows the changing times for the Berlin Iron Bridge Company as the main truss material was steel (the switch from wrought iron to steel was made about 1892), but still retains the pin-connected construction style that was used until 1900.
The bridge is incredibly simple compared to other Berlin Iron Bridge Company productions...an indication that cost was important in this area. Standard details that are seen on several other surviving examples (portal decorations, ornate builders plaque, decorative railings) are all absent on this bridge, giving it a very spare look.
This Bridge was abandoned around 1976, and the elements have taken their toll. Most of the simple steel tube railings have fallen off, and the deck stringers are also disappearing. The abutments and superstructure seem sound enough though, so it doesn't appear that the bridge is at risk of collapsing anytime soon.
- Pin connected Pratt through Truss over Contoocook River on abandonded section of Thompson Crossing road in Antrim
- Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
- Built 1893 by Berlin Iron Bridge Co.; Abandoned 1976
- - Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut
- Pin connected Pratt Through truss
Span length: 96.1 ft.
Total length: 96.1 ft.
Deck width: 13.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.04667, -71.91806 (decimal degrees)
43°02'48" N, 71°55'05" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/262326/4770130 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 24943 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2012)
- Overall condition: Fair
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 17 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- October 10, 2015: New photo from Mike Garland
- October 7, 2015: New photos from Mike Garland
- October 20, 2014: Updated by Michael Quiet: Added categories "Pin-connected", "One-lane traffic", "4-panel truss"
- September 11, 2011: Updated by J.P.: its actually a through truss via bing eagle view.
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com
- Mike Garland - Rapier342 [at] comcast [dot] net