WACR - Woodsville-Wells River Bridge
Under the bridge
Photo taken by Panoramio user JBTHEMILKER
License: Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs (CC BY-ND)
View this photo at panoramio.com
BH Photo #268964
This is a rather unique example of a Baltimore deck truss. Built in 1903 to replace a dual layer burr arch bridge, this bridge is pin connected and was also a dual layer model, with the upper deck supporting railroad traffic and the lower deck supporting highway travel. In 1917 highway travel was moved to a new bridge downstream and the lower deck was subsequently removed. Rail traffic continued into the 1990's when the bridge was determined to no longer be suitable. In an interesting reuse, the upper deck was put into use for vehicular traffic in 2001 while the adjacent highway bridge was rehabilitated. The bridge has been idle since that time.
- Pin Connected Baltimore deck & through truss bridge over Connecticut River on Railroad (WACR)
- Woodsville, Grafton County, New Hampshire, and Orange County, Vermont
- Dual layer Baltimore truss bridge built in 1903, closed to car traffic 1917, closed to trains in 2001
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- - Central Vermont Railway (CV)
- Washington County Railroad (WACR)
- Pin connected Baltimore deck truss with lower level
Length of largest span: 240.2 ft.
Total length: 336.0 ft.
- Also called
- WACR - Connecticut River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.15438, -72.04049 (decimal degrees)
44°09'16" N, 72°02'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/736663/4893279 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 58505 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 22, 2017: New photo from Michael Quiet
- January 13, 2016: New photos from Mike Garland
- January 9, 2016: New photos from Mike Garland
- January 7, 2016: New photos from Mike Garland
- October 5, 2014: Photo imported by Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- May 12, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Rail-and-Road"
- May 12, 2014: Updated by Michael Quiet: noted that this bridge also crosses into VT
- April 26, 2014: Updated by Michael Quiet: Added categories "Pin-connected", "One-lane traffic"
- October 21, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added railroad
- October 21, 2013: Added by Dave King
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com
- Mike Garland - Rapier342 [at] comcast [dot] net