Rating:
2 votes

Iron Furnace Bridge

Photos 

Flickr Photo of Bridge

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rusty_clark/5858075266/in/photostream/

License: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY)

View this photo on Flickr

BH Photo #253526

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This is an 1889 lenticular pony truss bridge built by the Berlin Iron Bridge Co to cross the Ham Branch on the Delage Farm Road in Franconia New Hampshire. As with the other bridges by BIBC this is made of wrought iron and is pin connected. Additional points to note are the bolted (and not pin connected) end members and the tapered web posts. In 2001 the bridge was removed from its original location and moved to the Iron Furnace park in Fanconia and now serves as a pedestrian crossing for a nature trail.

Facts 

Overview
Pin-connected Lenticular pony truss bridge over a tributary of Gale River on a pedestrian path
Location
Franconia, Grafton County, New Hampshire
Status
Open to pedestrians only
History
Built 1889 by the Berlin Iron Bridge Co.; Relocated and converted to pedestrian use 2001
Builder
- Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut
Design
Lenticular pony truss
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 56.0 ft.
Also called
Delage Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.23011, -71.75451   (decimal degrees)
44°13'48" N, 71°45'16" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
19/280012/4901121 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Sugar Hill
Inventory number
BH 56220 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • October 12, 2015: New photos from Michael Quiet
  • May 3, 2014: Updated by Michael Quiet: Added categories "Pin-connected", "Relocated", "Wrought Iron", "One-lane traffic"
  • April 4, 2014: Updated by Michael Quiet: Added description & photos
  • May 12, 2013: Added by James McCray

Sources