Rating:
No votes cast

Curran Suspension Bridge

Photos 

Curran Suspension Bridge

Photo taken by Michael Quiet in April 2015

Enlarge

BH Photo #323090

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This is the third pedestrian bridge built on this site, an important crossing between the residential side of the river and the (formerly) industrial side. An original wooden structure was replaced in 1902 by a steel suspension bridge. That bridge was lost in the hurricane of 1938.

A 27 year old Kenneth Curran, who would go on to become a prominent local engineer and entrepreneur, offered to rebuild the bridge for the sum of $3,000. The cables were salvaged from the original suspension bridge, and a new superstructure was fabricated and installed.

Facts 

Overview
Wire suspension bridge over Ammonoosuc River on Footpath
Location
Littleton, Grafton County, New Hampshire
Status
Open to pedestrians only
History
Built 1939
Builders
- Kenneth E. Curran (design)
- Lyons Iron Works (superstructure fabricator)
Design
Wire/cable suspension
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 244.0 ft.
Total length: 317.0 ft.
Also called
Littleton swinging footbridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.30614, -71.77802   (decimal degrees)
44°18'22" N, 71°46'41" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
19/278421/4909629 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Littleton
Inventory number
BH 67136 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • January 16, 2016: New photos from Mike Garland
  • April 20, 2015: New Street View added by Michael Quiet

Sources 

  • Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Mike Garland - Rapier342 [at] comcast [dot] net