1937 Chesterfield-Brattleboro Steel Arch Bridge
Photo taken by C Hanchey in October 2009
BH Photo #147581
The bridge won the 1937 Award of Merit from the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) as the "Most Beautiful Steel Bridge" in Class C.
- Steel through arch bridge over Connecticut River on former Hwy 9 in Chesterfield
- Brattleboro, Cheshire County, New Hampshire, and Windham County, Vermont
- Open to Pedestrians
- Built 1937 by Bethlehem Steel Co.; Bypassed in 2003
- - Bethlehem Steel Co. of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania (Fabricators)
- John H. Wells (Designer)
- Steel through arch
Length of largest span: 419.0 ft.
Total length: 440.0 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.88389, -72.55167 (decimal degrees)
42°53'02" N, 72°33'06" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/699939/4750828 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numer
- BH 24833 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2009)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Imminent Failure (1 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Imminent Failure (1 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Imminent Failure (1 out of 9)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 21, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Riveted", "Preserved"
- November 23, 2015: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- February 20, 2014: New photo from Jack Schmidt
- September 11, 2011: New Street View added by J.P.
- August 5, 2010: New photo from Ian Ligget
- July 29, 2010: New photos from Brian McKee
- C Hanchey - cmh2315fl [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Brian McKee - bjmckee51 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Ian Ligget
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com