No votes cast

Prairie Dog Creek Bridge


Photo taken from NebraskaHistory.org

View this photo at nebraskahistory.org

BH Photo #275213



In June 1913 the county board ordered that an eighty-foot span be built over Prairie Dog Creek in Eldorado Township. Construction was conditional on whether an east-west road was opened just below Prairie Dog Creek. The road (which is still in use) was apparently opened shortly thereafter, and the Prairie Dog Creek Bridge was then subsequently constructed. Consisting of a single, rigid-connected Camelback pony truss, the bridge has carried vehicular traffic since in essentially unaltered condition. As the earliest of some twenty Camelback pony trusses found in the statewide inventory, it is technologically significant as a well preserved example of this Pratt truss subtype. [From NRHP Form]


Pony truss bridge over Prairie Dog Creek on H Road, 8.5 mi. south and 1 mi. west of Orleans
Harlan County, Nebraska
Open to traffic
Built 1913
- Jones & Laughlin Steel Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania & Woodlawn, Pennsylvania (Iron/Steel Manufacturer)
- Monarch Engineering Co. of Denver, Colorado
Parker pony truss
Length of largest span: 80.1 ft.
Total length: 82.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.4 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 29, 1992
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.00436, -99.48033   (decimal degrees)
40°00'16" N, 99°28'49" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
14/459001/4428351 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Alma SW
Average daily traffic (as of 2003)
Inventory numbers
NRHP 92000712 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 24165 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of August 2017)
Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 29.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • February 20, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added description, NRHP info & imported photos
  • March 27, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added builder