Dodge Street Overpass
This overpass and the adjacent cloverleaf were built as part of a federal aid project that the Department of Roads described in its 1933-34 Biennial Report: "The Dodge Street project . . . consisted of widening the street from Thirtieth west to the city limits, making a four traffic-lane street between those points. Included in this project is a complete, modern street light system, and interlocking traffic control signal system, two pedestrian subways, and a grade separation of Dodge Street and Saddle Creek Boulevard." The Department designed this overpass as a concrete rigid frame structure, faced with curbstones salvaged from Dodge Street. Completed in 1934, the overpass required about 4,160 square feet of stone facing.
Over 1,175 cubic yards of dirt were excavated to lower Saddle Creek Road sufficiently to pass under it. The Dodge Street Overpass is a noteworthy example of the type of structure produced under federal relief projects in the 1930s. The rising importance of aesthetics in highway design is reflected in the reuse of stone curbing for bridge facing and in the rigid frame design, chosen because of visual as well as functional concerns.
- Concrete rigid frame bridge over Saddle Creek Road on US 6 (Dodge Street)
- Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska
- Open to traffic
- Built 1934
- Concrete rigid frame
Length of largest span: 49.9 ft.
Total length: 53.2 ft.
Deck width: 56.1 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 29, 1992
- Also called
- Saddle Creek Underpass
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.25965, -95.98045 (decimal degrees)
41°15'35" N, 95°58'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/250311/4571865 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Omaha North
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 92000741 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 50615 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of March 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 48.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 20, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added description, imported photos
- December 19, 2011: Added by James Baughn