Clear Creek Bridge
Clear Creek Bridge; seen from the west (upstream). The bridge is located in Butler County, Nebraska, where county road BC crosses the creek, northwest of Bellwood, Nebraska. The bridge was built in 1891, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Photo taken by William Flack
BH Photo #179950
Information From Historic Bridge Inventory
From Historic Bridge Inventory By Clayton B. Fraser
Located northwest of Bellwood, this small-scale truss carries a secondary county road across Clear Creek. The structure is a pin-connected Warren through truss, resting on concrete abutments and wingwalls. Two bridge plates reveal that the structure was built by the King Iron Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio in 1891. King originally built the span at the small town of Ulysses near the southern edge of Butler County, where it stood for some thirty-eight years. Then, in 1928, the truss was moved to its present location. Pin-connected Warren trusses are rare with only two examples known to exist in Nebraska, this structure and the Honey Creek Bridge in Nemaha County.
- Through truss bridge over Clear Creek on Road Bc (Road Bc), 2.8 mi. north and 4.8 mi. west of Bellwood
- Butler County, Nebraska
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Built 1891 by the King Iron Bridge Co.; relocated 1928
- - King Iron Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio [also known as King Bridge Co.]
- Pin-connected Warren through truss
Length of largest span: 36.1 ft.
Total length: 73.2 ft.
Deck width: 16.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.7 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 29, 1992
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.38425, -97.33533 (decimal degrees)
41°23'03" N, 97°20'07" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/639187/4582750 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2003)
- Inventory numers
- NRHP 92000734 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
NE C001200305P (Nebraska bridge number)
BH 23829 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2010)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 6.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 23, 2013: Updated by Fmiser: Added category "Second location, entire structure"
- October 6, 2012: New photos from Fmiser
- October 3, 2012: Updated by Fmiser: changed status to "closed"
- September 28, 2010: New photos from Nathan Holth
- June 14, 2010: Essay added by Nathan Holth