View Beside Bridge
From Historic Bridge Inventory
BH Photo #167517
Information From Historic Bridge Inventory
From Historic Bridge Inventory By Clayton B. Fraser
In February 1883 the Antelope County Commissioners contracted with the King Iron Bridge Company to build a tubular arch bridge across the Elkhorn River just north of Clearwater. On June 18, 1883 county officials inspected and accepted the newly completed bridge. The bridge carried wagon traffic with only minimal repairs for nearly thirty years, until the summer of 1912. That July the Western Bridge and Construction Company of Omaha replaced the bridge's original timber stringers with steel stringers. The bridge was also moved around 1929. Although no longer in use, it is being preserved in place by the county.
- Bowstring through truss bridge over Elkhorn River on 519th Avenue (Old Alignment)
- Antelope County, Nebraska
- Built 1883 By King Iron Bridge Co. Relocated 1929. Now Rehabilited For Pedestrian Use.
- - King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio
- Bowstring through truss
Length of largest span: 100.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 29, 1992
- Also called
- Elkhorn River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.15996, -98.12601 (decimal degrees)
42°09'36" N, 98°07'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/572200/4667906 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 92000771 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 45496 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 27, 2018: Updated by Luke: Changed status based on washed out approach
- June 17, 2015: Updated by Nathan Holth: Add Span Length Estimated.
- February 20, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
- August 7, 2011: New photos from James McCray
- August 16, 2010: New photos from Nathan Holth
- June 14, 2010: Essay added by Nathan Holth