BNSF - Missouri River High Bridge
Elevated Oblique View
Photo taken by Mike Jensen in Fall 2008
BH Photo #179972
BNSF's Bismarck Bridge Needs Replacement
BNSF video on proposed replacement of bridge
BNSF Railroad has announced plans to replace and demolish this bridge, in a plan expected to take several years for permits and construction.
Bridge named to National Trust for Historic Preservation's "11 Most Endangered Historic Places for 2019".
- Pennsylvania through truss bridge over Missouri River on BNSF Railway
- Bismarck, Burleigh County, North Dakota, and Morton County, North Dakota
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Built 1905, reusing the piers from an 1882 bridge
- - Ralph Modjeski of Bochnia, Poland (Chief Engineer)
- - BNSF Railway (BNSF)
- Burlington Northern Railroad (BN)
- Northern Pacific Railway (NP)
- Pennsylvania through truss
Length of largest span: 400.0 ft.
Total length: 1,525.0 ft.
- Also called
- Missouri River High Bridge
Bismarck-Mandan Rail Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +46.81801, -100.82682 (decimal degrees)
46°49'05" N, 100°49'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/360645/5186560 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 44455 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 27, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- July 10, 2021: New photo from Tony Dillon
- April 10, 2020: New video from Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- May 30, 2019: Updated by Roger Deschner: Listed by National Trust for Historic Preservation
- October 24, 2017: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Updated replacement plans, added new media article
- May 20, 2017: New photos from John Marvig
- April 6, 2017: Updated by Luke: Doomed (Possibly)
- March 17, 2017: New photo from Dana and Kay Klein
- August 25, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Pin-connected", "Riveted"
- August 25, 2016: New photo from Ethan Akerly
- December 4, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
- June 27, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
- April 1, 2014: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added Ralph Modjeski as Chief Engineer and approximate span length.
- March 27, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added approach designs
- March 12, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- March 10, 2012: New photo from Craig Philpott
- September 28, 2010: New photo from Nathan Holth
- March 14, 2010: Added by James Baughn