Photo taken by Royce and Bobette Haley in January 2016
BH Photo #348589
This bridge was the subject of the landmark legal case, Luten Bridge Co. vs. Rockingham County (1929).
- Open-spandrel arch bridge over Dan River on Mebane Bridge Road
- Rockingham County, North Carolina
- Closed to all traffic
- Built 1924-25 by the Luten Bridge Co.
- - Luten Bridge Co. of York, Pennsylvania & Knoxville, Tennessee
- Open-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 110.9 ft.
Total length: 367.1 ft.
Deck width: 17.4 ft.
- Also called
- Luten Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.47167, -79.74528 (decimal degrees)
36°28'18" N, 79°44'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/612410/4036996 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Southeast Eden
- Average daily traffic (as of 1999)
- Inventory number
- BH 55531 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2001)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 50.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 28, 2017: Updated by Jeff Wieland: Changed bridge type from closed-spandrel to open-spandrel.
- February 6, 2016: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- February 12, 2013: Added by James Baughn
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Jeff Wieland