Surf City Bridge
Photo taken by Matthew Ridpath in January 2009
BH Photo #132273
"The bridge's swing span has a fascinating history. It was originally erected about 1930 at Sears Landing, now Sunset Beach, near the South Carolina border. In 1954 Hurricane Hazel blew out that bridge and the state chose to float its swing span on pontoons about 80 miles northeast and place it across the Intracoastal Waterway at Surf City in Pender County. Along with installing the span to carry traffic on NC 50/NC 210 from the mainland to that town and other points on Topsail Island, the state erected six tee beam approaches on the east (island) end of the structure. Together with the swing span, these give the bridge a total length of 463 feet.
The operator's house for the bridge was located, in 1954, at mid-span above the roadway in the truss superstructure. About 1975 the state replaced it with a flat-roofed house complete with modern electrical controls at the swing span's southeast corner. The bridge has retained its original gearing and mechanical systems, however, and continues to operate much as it has since at least 1954."-NCDOT
- Swing bridge over Intracoastal Waterway on NC50/NC210 in Surf City
- Pender County, North Carolina
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Slated for demolition and replacement in 2016-2017.
- Built 1954-55
- Riveted polygonal Warren through truss swing span (with bolts on repaired connections); concrete tee-beam approach spans.
Length of largest span: 127.0 ft.
Total length: 462.9 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.43120, -77.54959 (decimal degrees)
34°25'52" N, 77°32'59" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/265718/3812916 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Holly Ridge
- Inventory numbers
- NC 1410016 (North Carolina bridge number)
BH 23304 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 09/2014)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 13.2 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2013)
- December 9, 2017: New photo from Douglas Butler
- September 16, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- January 29, 2016: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- January 9, 2016: Updated by Curtis Lee: Updated year built
- December 10, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- August 11, 2015: Updated by Royce and Bobette Haley: Changed build date -description
- August 18, 2014: Added by Douglas Butler
- August 26, 2013: New photo from Douglas Butler
- October 21, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
- March 11, 2010: Updated by Matthew Ridpath: Added Street View
- March 21, 2009: New photos from Matthew Ridpath
- January 10, 2009: New photos from Matthew Ridpath