Old Fayetteville Rd bridge
Old Fayetteville Rd Bridge
View of South side, looking upstream.
Photo taken by madurobob in February 2016
BH Photo #349426
Hillsborough, County Seat of Orange County, NC was founded in 1754 and served as the court for a huge section of central North Carolina. Later it was where the provincial congress and General Assembly met over a few years to ratify the US Constitution. Around 1771 Lord Tryon heard of growing unrest in the area and noted there was nothing but a bridle path between modern-day Raleigh and Hillsborough. He ordered a road be built. Tryon called the completed road "Rams Gate", but in Orange County it came to be known as "Fayetteville Road". Its passing by a couple of large water-powered grist mills ensured its heavy use for over 100 years (Johnston Mill & Patterson Mill). A few miles of the old road, abandoned for 100 years, run through Duke Forest's "Kortian Division".
- Abandoned timber stringer bridge over Un Named creek on Old Fayetteville wagon raod
- Orange County, North Carolina
- Future prospects
- In the Duke Forest Korstian Division. No known plans for preservation, demolition, etc...
- The old road dates to the late 1700s and was one of the eariest roads to Hillsborough, NC from points East.
- Timber stringers would have spanned the 12 foot gap between the poured concrete and stone foundation. Remains of a couple of stringers can still be seen
Length of largest span: 12.0 ft.
Total length: 30.0 ft.
Deck width: 14.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.00025, -79.03879 (decimal degrees)
36°00'01" N, 79°02'20" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/676769/3985755 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 71161 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 29, 2016: Added by madurobob